Studio 345 is a free out of school youth development program that uses Digital Photography, Digital Media Arts, and Multimedia Design to educate and inspire students to stay in school, graduate, and pursue goals beyond high school. Providing unique experiences for high school students in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Studio 345 fosters a sense of belonging and interconnectedness. Taught and mentored by professional working artists, students gain invaluable experiences enabling them to become creative risk-takers and craftsmen while growing emotionally, intellectually, and artistically.
A Proven Model
Inspired by Bill Strickland’s belief that environment shapes behavior, classes are held in contemporary studios and equipped with state-of-the-art technology and complimented with experiences in the community, workplace, and higher education. Since 1972, Manchester Bidwell, founded by Strickland, has attracted national attention for its youth development program.
Spirit Square Center for Arts & Education
(Former Clayworks and Barber Paint Studios)
345 North College Street, Charlotte, NC 28202
Hours, Sessions, & Transportation
- Studio Classes: 3:30-5:30pm, Monday-Thursdays (classes will be either Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Open Studios: 3:30-5:30, Fridays only
- Trimester Sessions (10 weeks each): Download the Course Catalog
- Enrollment in person: September 10th, 3:30-5:30 or Enroll Online
- Classes Run: September 28th- December 10th, 2015
- Celebration: December 10th (and Enrollment)
- Classes Run: January 11th- March 17th, 2016
- Celebration: March 17th (and Enrollment)
- Classes Run: April 4th- June 2nd, 2016
- Celebration: June 2nd
- Public transportation (to and from the site) will be offered at no cost to the students (CATS transit passes)
Student Participation Requirements
Students are expected to participate through commitment, attendance, performance, and citizenship.
- Commitment - Show up during studio hours and participates in student activities.
- Attendance - Come to Studio 345 when scheduled.
- Performance - Maintain good work habits and uses time and resources effectively.
- Citizenship - Respect self, peers, instructors, materials, equipment, and learning environment.
Core Artistic Principles & Social Values
Engagement in the arts will provide a pathway for students to learn life skills in communication and leadership development. Studio 345 is driven by the following principles and social values.
- Balance and passion
- Creativity and responsibility
- Expression and integrity
- Intuition and meaning
Eligibility & Selection Process
Studio 345 is open to all Charlotte-Mecklenburg County School students in Grades 9-12 who are motivated and committed to develop skills in Digital Photography, Digital Media Art, and/or Multimedia Design. All students are welcome to attend enrollment nights and place their name in the lottery system for the course(s) of their choice. There is also a recruitment process that includes information sessions at schools and nominations from parents, teachers, counselors, & others. The overall goal is to serve 160 students per trimester. There is no interview or portfolio process, students ultimately self-select for the program by attending enrollment night and registering for the course.
Sponsors and Partners
Image & Video Gallery